Saturday, August 16, 2014

Take a break! English Summer Camp Nasu '14 Part I

This past week, I've had more fun than in the 4 months I've been in Japan. I was part of a 2-day summer camp for Japanese Junior High students, where I was expected to talk to them in English and also teach them about my country and make them perform something. After the camp, I had planned a day trip to Hitachinaka in the Ibaraki Pref and finally realize my year-long dream of visiting Hitachi Seaside Park (Google it, I'm sure the images wont disappoint). And when there's Tokyo, there's also dosa. So naturally, I wanted to eat at the South-Indian place I went to the last time I was here (the guy who runs it is now my friend. Yayy for free dessert!)
Since its a lot of detail to write about, I'll break down the entire week into multiple posts. The English Summer Camp  and Tokyo tripping (Hitachi and around Tokyo).

ESC!

Sometimes, you have to push your boundaries to see how far you can go. Being a part of ESC Nasu was one such life experience for me. I was a 'Captain', incharge of a group of 6 kids -4 boys and 2 girls. Taking care of one kid is no big deal. I've babysat my brother with no catastrophic consequences. But these are SIX kids! And we all know how boys are (rolls eyes). To add to it, I'm supposed to talk to them ONLY in English, and also not let on the fact that I can understand Japanese (because apparently, then they wont make an effort to communicate in English. Fair enough).

Though I dont have any pictures to show for it, I hope I can paint something with words and let your imagination take over.

Pre-Meeting

This was held on the evening before camp started, for all the Captains to be briefed about what to do/not to do and to get to know one another. We were 24 of us. Students from different parts of the world, some who have traveled a long way from home to live in Japan and experience the lifestyle here. There were people from Korea, Australia, Laos, Mongolia, Thailand, China, Nepal, India (me!), Pakistan , Macedonia, Sweden, Italy, Kenya, Malawi, Zimbabwe, Brazil, Honduras, El Salvador, the USA, Peru and Mexico! All of us sharing one common love- Japan.
Our foreign Chief was an American who teaches English here in Tokyo. 'Super-Genki!' became the buzz word for the rest of the camp. At no point were we to show any signs of tiredness/boredom..though that kinda relaxed later.
After 2 hours of meeting-shizz, we were on our way to the hotel where we were supposed to stay for the night. And Oh.My.God.WOW! I did not expect such a wonderfully cozy room all to myself!!!


                                                                           My room at the Akabane Plaza Hotel

I was so excited I couldn't sleep!! Which wasn't really a good thing, considering I had to be up at 5 the next morning. It pretty much set the pace for the next two days.

Day 1: Meeting the students and Shirakabaso Villa

We're up and about at 6 on a humid Wednesday morning, when we have to collect our breakfast- onigiri (rice balls wrapped in seaweed) and a bottle of ocha (Japanese green tea). From the hotel we went to the high school where we met the kids we would be camping with. After some speeches and introductions, we made our way to our groups and sat with the kids. They weren't talking much and the combination of their shyness and my attempt to initiate conversation (in English) was just plain awkward. Thankfully, it was now time to get on the bus to Nasu, in Tochigi Pref. A 3 hour ride in a bus full of kids who look at me like I'm the strange foreigner that I am. Oh fun! 
The ride wasn't so bad, actually. We played a dozen games of Uno and word building and got through it. 

Our first stop was at a local sightseeing spot. Called 'Killing Stone Site', it was a minute's hike up a wooden bridge..while our olfactory senses were assaulted by the sulphur from the hot springs. It was more like, hold your breath and run up the bridge. Click a picture with your group. And then hold your breath and run back down.

After this photo-op, we finally reached the Shirakabaso Villa. This is the place where we would be spending most of our time over the next two days. Either chilling in the Captain's room, eating in the huge dining hall or practising our moves for our International Cultural Performance (ICP), the highlight of the camp.

The Captain's room was really a great place to hang out. A large wood panelled room, with no furniture except for a table and low Japanese cushions, it had world maps on the walls with messages from Captains from previous rounds. Even the Villa itself had pictures of Captains on the walls and had encouraging messages from them.
The wackiest message though was from an Austrian that said "English is like a frog sitting on your head". And it was complete with a cartoon of a frog sitting on a guy's head.
What does that even mean? :/ I'm just as confused as you are. 

With these initial impressions of the camp, I'm going to take a break. But Day 1 isn't over yet! Part II of the post is coming soon and so are the remaining stories from Tokyo.
Keep the love coming.
XOXO




No comments:

Post a Comment